Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mothers Day



Happy Mothers Day to all the Mothers out there.

Jen works all day on Sunday so we celebrated Mothers Day last night. She took me to Chinese Dinner. Brenda and her two girls Brandi and Casey joined us. We had a good time. And the food was delicious.

After dinner Brenda came to our house. The three of us scrapped until 11:30 when Brenda left. I scrapped alone until 1:30. It was great of Jennifer to arrange for dinner and scrapping time together. It's not very often Jen will sit and scrap with me. When she does I love it. She even passed up going to the club last night to be with me. What a girl.

This is the layout I did last night. This is the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Oakland Cemetery located in Atlanta Georgia. Brenda, Helen, Michelle and myself spent about 4 hours at this cemetery taking photos and reflecting on the lives of those buried there. The tombs were amazing. The confederate section was moving. There was even a Jewish section. There were little rocks on some of these headstones. I learned that the little rocks are placed there as a sign of respect for these Jewish people. Who said you could not learn something in the middle of a cemetery?

This cemetery was so old that only white people were to be buried there. Amazingly, there was one African American granted permission to be buried there with the family she was a maid to. The family went thru a lot to be granted the permission to have her there. They said she was as much a part of their family as the other family members. To my knowledge this is the only case in which a slave was granted permission to be buried in a white cemetery.

3 comments:

Yellow Fence said...

That is so interesting about the tomb. I didn't know any of that! Glad you had a nice Mother's Day!

Shannon

Colleen said...

What a great layout and great info too! Sounds like you had a great Mother's Day celebration! Hope you had a good day today too!

Brenda Smith said...

I remember when we went to the cemetery, I remember we got out of the cab and the wind was blowing so cold. I remember seeing you running from the ghost!! And so much more! Such fun I have had with you!