Friday, July 13, 2007

What's In A Name


I was reading someone elses blog today. They mentioned how they are not thrilled with their name. Hmmm....? Other people do not like their name either? Now I feel so much better.

I am on the freaky side of not liking my name. I for the life of me can not figure out what my parents were thinking. When I ask them this question neither one of them can tell me WHY? They don't remember how I got my name. That just reinforces the randomness and no thought process to my naming. They can not even say "oh....I just liked the way it sounded." What the heck? Did they pick the name out of a hat? Was I that special?

I HATE even saying my name. It sounds so harsh. No femininity at all. Just harsh sounds. Dull even. I don't even like saying it to other people with the same name. It sounds weird coming out of my mouth.

I will avoid saying my name loudly at all costs. When someone introduces themselves I mumble my name. That usually causes them to say "what?" Great! Now I gotta say it again. Uhg!

To remedy this horrid sound coming out my mouth. I make up an alias. Especially in a restraunt where they ask "What's your name" so it can be announced loudly for everyone to hear. How embarrasing. I used to use whatever name I could think of at the moment. In later years one name always came to mind. JENNI. Yes, I hide behind my daughters name.

Barista: "What's your name/"
Me: "Jenni"

At which point my friends (that don't know me well) look at me with this crazy look on thier face. I just grin and say "I always give a fake name." They all think I am wierd. Of course for the places I frequent they get real confused if I give them a credit card and it has my real name. Then I really need to explain why the two differnt names. Sometimes it is more hassel than I need.

But......Whats in a name really?.......

Love,

Jenni

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't hate the name Debbi, but I get how you feel. If your name doesn't match what you see as your personality, it just feels wrong, doesn't it? I should definitely be a Kate or a Jennifer, but why did they name me Janice? Ugh!!!!! Can I put enough exclamation points after that?

Heather said...

I like the name Debbi, especially how you spell it. It's a nice name! :)

Lynn said...

I also like the name Debbi. I have to tell you though that I really don't like my name. It has no vowels and is just a blah name. I was named after my mothers favorite chinesse restaurant. That one went over real well when I was told how they came up with my name.

Maureen said...

Hey Jenni:

I think we ALL go thru that "hate my name" thing sometime in our life. I know I did...

Jill said...

So is your whole name not Deborah? Maybe you could go by your middle name? The nickname I love for Deborah & would also work for Debbi is "Deb". I love that nickname, just sounds so warm, caring & genuine to me. I guess bec. my parents have had a friend since I was a little girl that goes by that nickname for Deborah. Could you go by your middle name? I went through a time when I didn't like my name. My parents specifically chose Jill because you couldn't shorten it into a nickname. But of course it gets lengthened into a nickname now & again & the whole thing I had against it in the first place was being summed up in one little syllable... :-)

Jill said...

Ooops...tired here...asked that middle name question twice - sorry!!!!!

Jaime said...

This is such a beautiful picture of you!

Talk to ya later, Jenni.