Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Altered Totes


I have been wanting to alter my All Memory totes for a long time now. I was scarred to try it for fear of messing them up big time. No one wants and ugly tote. It's not like paper where you can start over.

I finally got up the courage and just did it. I stopped trying to plan out what it would look like in the end. Just let it flow as you go. That's my new motto.
The big tote in the first two pics was done with paint, stamps and a black sharpie.

You never know if people would want to take a class on altering these totes. So, I wanted to do each one with a different technique. Sometimes I am smarter than I look.

The medium tote was done with rub ons. These particular rub ons were a bit trickier than the making memories words I used on the first tote. They did not rub off so easily. Makes for a slow careful process. It was all good in the end. I love the colors of these rub ons.

The small tote was another story. This is where the "nobody want to carry around an ugly tote" comes in. Yep, hate it. Won't post a picture of it until I figure out what the heck to do with it. It is sooooo ugly. I tried to hand paint little flowers. I wanted white doodling. Since the white pen soaked into the fabric, I tried to paint the doodling on. Whatever you do, do not try that at home. Create and learn.

10 comments:

Jill said...

Those look GREAT!!!!!! My daughter wants a fancy Jansport backpack for school next year and I've already told her she could have one (seeing as she's had cheesy cheap ones a few years in a row now & they always rip before the school year is over).

But maybe I could decorate one for my son...guess it would have to be without flowers...

What type of paint did you use? I have a lot of acrylics, but not sure any of my stamps are very masculine...I doubt rub ons would withstand a fourth grade boy's abuse...then again acrylics might not either.

EquineSpirit said...

Those are WAY cute!! Way to go!!

Anonymous said...

Wow you did an awesome job. This looks great!

scrapbaby said...

These are cute where did you get your talent not from me that is for sure, Hi Brenda looking forward to seeing you at the wedding and Thanksgiving. Deb I need some of the pictures of Jen&Mike that you just did and of Jen and her induction certificate. Love you all

Jaime said...

I like 'em. Good job. : )

Debbi said...

Hey Jill....I used the making memories acrylic paints. I am sure any acrylic paint would work. My XXL tote has been painted for about 7 years now. None of the paint has worn off. I would say the paint would withstand your son better than anything else. LOVE your blog by the way.

Bonita Rose said...

your totes are fab!

kat said...

super cute!!! great Christmas gifts too.

Jill said...

Thanks Debbi! I think I'm going to test out on my laptop carrier thing!

Anonymous said...

thanks that really nice.. great job.. thanks..