Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The Power of Three


I love this layout. The colors are so bright and the flower is just simply too cute. I got the title from the TV show Charmed. If you watch it you know what "the Power of Three" is. If you don't watch it....well.....it just means we are so much better when we are together.

To make the flower hand cut a small circle out of pattern paper. Lay that on another piece of pattern paper and hand cut a little bigger. Continue to do this until you have about 5 layers. When I say hand cut, I mean do not draw the circle and then cut, but just start cutting. The circle is not meant to be perfect. In fact it looks much better if it is not perfect.

Once the circles are cut, ink around the edges. The next step is to distress the edges. You can do this a couple of different ways,. Scissors work great. Scrape the blade of the scissors along the edge until you get a worn look. A distresser made by Making Memories works great for this also. It's a little black tool that has a blade in it. When the worn look starts to happen kind of crinkle, wrap, the edges up slightly. The leaves area created the same way you created the flower. Remember to hand cut the petals.

Now you are ready to adhere each piece into place on on top of the other to create the finished flower. In this case I also wrapped a piece of lace around the biggest layer just to add a little more cuteness. Attach a button in the middle. Either sew the button down or add a brad as I did. The stem is another piece of ribbon I found in my stash. Any ribbon will work. I just happen to find this piece of yumminess.

This is a great way to make those supplies last as I used scraps from my scrap bin. I never really thought about my scraps much. Until one night Nikki was throwing her scraps into the garbage. A "Fashionista" from SIStv was sitting there. She looked down and about had a heart attack. "your NOT throwing these away." Nikki and I kind of giggled until she created an amazing LO all on Nikki's "garbage". Yep, I am saving and using more of my scraps now. Thank you Kerri Lynn for making me "See the Light". I will not throw away a scrap.

2 comments:

Jen said...

You're right! It IS a totally cute layout! LOVE it! Thanks for posting it!

melanie said...

love this l/o - gonna have to jack the title!!

mel