Thursday, August 9, 2007

"19" by Waycross

Wow. I was checking out Debbi (with no e on the end) blog today and found this video. Amazing song. Really makes you think about the young adults that make the decision to fight for our freedom. Beautiful song.



Waycross - 19 - video powered by Metacafe


When I was young the Vietnam war was still going on. Young people did not volunteer to join the military. None of them wanted to go. The "Draft" was in full effect. They were told they had to go. Many of them "ran" to Canada to escape going into the military.

I remember reading and seeing movies about when the war started and how drastically it effected the women. Most of the young men got Drafted. The states were left with very few men. Women were left alone, no job skills but had to learn rather quickly.

By the time I was a young girl the "Draft" was not as prominent as it was back then. My dad never had to go. He was in the medical field, was married, and had me. He would have been one of the last chosen. I remember thinking "Thank God, my dad did not get drafted." By the time my brother reached 18, the war was over and there was no more "draft." I remember thinking "thank God" at that time too.

Now, Jen has volunteered to serve in the Marines. These young people simply amaze me. The courage, the commitment, the dedication they have. I am thankful we have enough young people volunteer to where the draft has not been put into effect again. I honor and remember these young people every day. They are my Hero's!!!!!!

2 comments:

Debbi (no 'e' on the end) said...

Thanks for the shout out. Glad you love this video.....these guys are so awesome. Make sure you go to GAC.com & vote for em for Top 20 so more people will hear of em. They are so sweet & talented.

Anonymous said...

I am sure you are very proud of your daughter Debbi. I am too! I think this decision will change her life forever. She will make a strong Marine.

I am also tickled that she is getting married. That event will be a big day for her. I will be there as a proud grandmother!

I also wanted to know if she has registered anywhere for gifts. If not, any ideas would surely be appreciated.

Holly is planning to come also with her son Jack, altho she is also pretty swamped taking care of baby Alex. He is just seven months old and already has TWO open-heart surgeries under his belt. He is definitely my "Braveheart".

My email address is ngf39@sbcglobal.net. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Nancy