Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Relaxation



I'mmmm baaack! From the cruise that is.

Cruises for me are total relaxation. A time to just BE.... Hang out, do nothing and enjoy time. With that being said, not all people vacation in the same way. I had a hard time with the go go go from my traveling companions the first couple days.

Then I remembered, I CAN choose to vacation MY way even with companions that travel differently without feeling guilty.

For those of you that know me, you know I have no trouble being alone. I crave and enjoy being alone as I go into people overload very easily. So, I removed myself from the go go go and found things to do by myself. It may have been just slowly roaming around the ship. Or just sitting in one of the many bar areas enjoying time. I hung out on deck by myself for a bit to enjoy the sun. I even found a deserted corner of one of the bars to pull up a leather chair, drink my coffee, and read in silence. I also found myself in the art gallery reflecting on each piece of art on display. How cool is that? I loved it.

Don't get me wrong, I still spent a great deal of time with my sisters. We swam, we ate, we laughed, we entered games together, and we argued. Go figure. That's what sisters do.

I did come to one big realization this week. I love all three of my sisters so much. But, I also realized the three of them have a much different bond with each other than I have with them. I think it stems from the fact we did not grow up together. We did not meet each other until I was 13. At that time it was only for short visits. I moved in with them for a year when I was 15. Then we lived together again when I was 20.

At several different points this week I kind of felt like an outsider trying to fit in. Maybe it was just in my own mind but that is how I felt a different moments. There were some very awkward moments for me. I was not sure what to do at the time. Those were the times I got quiet and/or removed myself from the situations.

Don't get me wrong. I do and did feel like I fit in most of the time. The four of us have never spent that long together as adults. It was just a feeling I got at different time through out the week. However, all in all we had a great time. It was an experience, for all four of us, we will never forget.

2 comments:

Brenda Smith said...

Glad you found peace and quiet when needed, and I'm glad you went on the trip. I would rather you have memories of some arguments then regrets of what it could've been like on a cruise with your sisters.

nikki peterson said...

i am glad you are home!