Friday, April 13, 2007

Bear Hug

This is my friend Michelle. She has this amazing connection with Bears. Seriously. Michelle can take any stuffed Bear (they are not stuffed in her mind) and make it come to life. This bear will have a full blown conversation with you. No matter what you say to this Bear, it will answer you (in silence) and you WILL understand what it is saying. Now, I have witnessed this freaking many a people out. One such person must leave the room it scares her so bad. It seriously feels like the Bear is alive. I do not know where Michelle gets this amazing talent from. I have heard rumor that her secret wish is to be a puppeteer. She would be so good at it. It is not unusual to go to Michelle's home and find her Bears watching TV all cuddled in a blanket. Or when we go on Vacation one of her Bears will jump onto the next bed with the other Bear and have a party while we are out. Snacks scattered all around them. We found one of Michelle's stuffed friends in a jacuzzi (an ice bucket) and a wine bottle laying next to it. The towel (a napkin) was draped over the Jacuzzi and Poly was pretty wrinkled up after being in there all night. Too funny.

Michelle is also a really great friend. She listens without judging. She tries to make you see the other side of the story. Now, sometimes that can be a little frustrating as I want to be right. She kindly directs me into thinking I could be wrong. If I am right she will tell me. But this is what I love about Michelle.

She also has the one of the most compassionate hearts of anyone I know (Helen too but more about her later). When someone is having a hard time, Michelle will be the first one there to help out. When I was diagnosed with Diabetes, she went to classes with me to learn how I should eat. She was feeding me a lot back then as I was working on a book with Helen. One of her neighbors drives a UPS truck. At Christmas time this neighbor would get home very very late. Michelle did not know her real well back then, but she would take dinner over and leave it on the front porch for the neighbor when she got home. When my daughter, Jennifer, was about to not graduate High School, Michelle tutored her and had a big part in Jennifer graduating. Michelle is just that way.

Michelle is a very talented Polymer Clay artist. She is working at making herself know in the Polymer world. When we went to CHA in January, some of the famous Polymer peeps were initiating conversation with her and knew her name. She had never met some of them. They just knew who she was. I remember Michelle saying to me, "I don't want to be famous, I just want them to know who I am. That makes me feel good." She was grinning as she said this to me and I could see the joy in her eyes. It is good to be recognized in the field where your passion lye's. I for one, hope that Michelle continues to make a path for herself in this world. I have seen her work. It is sooooooo amazing. I wish I had some of her work to post for you. Good Luck Michelle......may all your dreams come true. You are a true friend.

1 comment:

Brenda Smith said...

Awwwww, I really miss working with Michelle and Helen. I always felt welcomed by them. They both are amazing and talented people. They have definitely found a permanent place in my heart!