Friday, January 4, 2008

Blood for no Reason

Those of you that know me know I am a huge fan of saving peoples lives. Meaning I give blood any chance I get. Every time you donate blood you save three lives. 50% of the time I try to donate my Iron is not high enough so they turn me away. But I try every time. I have not been able to even try for a year as I went to Honduras on a vacation. Honduras has a high risk of Malraia.

Yesturday, the blood bank came to my work. I was so excited to be able to donate again. I got three co-workers to go with me. They tested me and the Iron level was great. Whew! Super excited now.

I have bad bad bad viens so getting a needle into my arm is always a problem. After swiveling the needle around in my arm a bit they finally hit the vien. It's all good. I figure I can go through a little bit of drama and pain to save three people. Right?

I am laying there for 24 minettes. Aparantly my blood is running a little slow. They moved the needle around some more and pulled the skin tight around it. Seemed to work better by still flowing slow. One of my co-workers finished in 5 minettes. GREAT! I am a slow flower. We finally get all done and all is good.

As I am sitting there eating my little snack Jessica (co-worker) asks me about my psoriosis treatments I have been getting at the Dr. The nurse is listening and is amazed the Dr. is giving me the treatments I am getting. The treatments are meant to stop the immune system which in turn treats the skin problem I have. She asked what meds I was taking and I told her.

About 3 minettes later she comes up to me and lets me know that one of my meds does not allow me to give blood. WHAT??????? I just went through all that for nothing. They had to destroy all the blood they just took from me. Yep, I had a great day.

7 comments:

china59 said...

Oh no crap ! I totally relate to that as I've stopped trying at some point ! I ALWAYS get rejected too (anaemia and spasmophilia! no good !)

Jules said...

Oh that's crappy. That would irk me because I always get a bad bruise but I do it anyways. I do it because my sister, my husband, my mother, my mother in law have all needed it. Rowan can't give so it's my duty to give. I always have the iron problem too. At least you are trying!

alittlebitofscrap said...

OMG! I'm so sorry you had to go through that just to have your blood dumped. I can't give blood either. I have a red blood cell problem.
Good for you for trying though. That's paying it forward for sure :)

Ann(i)e Hafermann said...

oh crumbs....sorry to hear that!!
you are awesome for trying though!
xo
annie
www.ahafermann.typepad.com

Glee-scrap said...

They should have awarded you a huge GOLD star for your bravery and taken a kick in the pants for not checking what meds you are on BEFORE you sacrafice your precious blood! Thanks for donating every time you can, Debbi. Don't let this bad experience stop you from donating and saving 3 lives in the future.

Glee-scrap said...

Ooops! That was supposed to say "they should have taken a kick in the pants for not checking what meds you are on". I need to read my comments more carefully before hittn' that "publish" button!

Helga Marie Bee said...

Oh thats crummy, hey at least you tried. They do not want my blood either... Hope the bruise is not too bad, I end up with "track marks" when they take it for regular reasons.