Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The Witch Cake

Totally fun goodness cake style. We had a bake off at work for Halloween. I had this image in my head of a 3 tiered witch. My first attempt at a themed tier cake. This goodie is about 12 inches tall with three cakes. The bottom layer is a white cake with lemon filling. Orange frosting with a web design. The spiders around the bottom were a last minette addition. I am so excited how they turned out as I did not practice it first (I know Helen......practice practice practice)they just turned out right. The middle layer is also white cake with lemon filling. The frosting under the fondant is purple. And the top layer is just white cake carved into a circle (that was not so easy) with the green frosting.
The middle layer has fondant I dyed black. It was not black enough for me so I sprayed it with black food coloring spray. Matt helped me lay the fondont on the cake so the front of the cape was smooth and covered the middle layer in the front. The back came all the way down to the bottom of the first layer. I made the fondant ruffle so it looked as though the cape was flowing. Then I took an edible powder sheen and painted it onto the cape to give it depth and highlights. That was fun but it was a first time for me to use this product.
Love the head. I made the frosting all bumpy by patting the spatula all over the head. Then I added the eyeballs with red bloodshot veins. I adore the red blisters all over her face. Just made her a little more scary. The hat, well, I knew I had to do something to reinforce it for the drive. So I took some thick wire and made a cone. Layed it on her head and applyed the frosting around it. It is the only part of the cake besides the arms that is not edible. Then the hair. I know I should have done the hair first but I was not thinking. I did it after the hat. It was a new frosting tip I was dying to use. I just love the hair.

I had to transport the entire cake about 15 miles, so I re-inforced the heck out of it with wooden dowls. Normally I would put the dowls in each layer of cake and set the next layer on top. But this time I put the dowels Through two layers including the cardboard each layer sat on. It turned out VERY sturdy and made the trip with no problem.
I won two of the three trophies given out that day. One for "Best Execution" and one for "Tastiest Treet". Our marketig girl made these trophies. I simply ADORE them. Aren't they the cutest. She thinks she is not creative but I beg to differ. I think my favorite comment from a co-worker that day was, "Debbi, could you have not brought a normal cake. That's the cake of the year."

And a added tid bit......Matt helped with the decorating the cake. And he LIKED it. He took the leftover fondant and made the feet. His idea by the way. Then he made the arms out of wire for me. He did a great job and he admitted to having fun. It was also his idea to give the spiders red fangs. Yep, he is creative himself.

4 comments:

Tina said...

Wow! That's SOME cake - great work!

Amy said...

Absolutely fantastic, that is the best decorated cake I have seen in quite some time!

toners said...

Wow! Amazing work!

shalay said...

That's the awesome-est cake I've ever seen! How fun that you guys had a bake-off with trophies and everything! Can I work where you work?